Sunday, June 16, 2013

FRISCHE SPARGEL

Speaking of heaven on earth, we landed right in the middle of the German White Asparagus season and I indulged myself liberally. Always health conscious, Dora was hesitant as they are perfect conduits for uric acid attacks. I took the contra-view that by consuming large quantities one would be able to conclude, definitively, if one is gout proof or not. My theory was sound, and my scientific study was a smashing success.  I ordered asparagus at every meal, loved it, and came out unscathed. Fatalistic, perhaps, but do you have a better way?

Almost every eatery put on a special Spargel Menu, in all kinds of gyrations but one does not have to go that far. From our 4 days in Munich and 6 asparagus packed meals, there are only 3 ways to enjoy this delicate veggie, to my palate.  (1) poached, with a white sauce (2) in chunks, in an asparagus based thick creamy soup and lastly (3) grilled, lightly sprinkled with salt, and served on the side with fish or meat. Simplicity is key, the accent is on freshness and on natural taste, which are second to none. It is almost worth a special trip to Germany when Frische Spargel is in season, if you ask me.  To make you even more envious, these babies were sold in the open market for E10 a kilo ... a kilo for HK$100, imagine what they would fetch here?    

No comments:

Post a Comment