Tuesday, June 11, 2013

BEELZEBUBS @ TUFTS

The main reason for Boston is to attend the 50th Anniversary of the Beelzebubs aka BUBS, an all-male A Cappella group founded in 1963. I was auditioned as a Sophomore way back in 1969.  A little history was made as I was the 1st Asian inducted, a 1st Tenor in a group of 14.  I became Business Manager in 1971 and elected President in 1972, the year I graduated from Tufts.

We were just a bunch of college kids then who loved to sing, to ham it up but ultimately, to impress girls who were mesmerized by our musical genius, not to mention our looks.  Believe it or not, I was rather a handsome chap back then ?!?  I will show you on another blog.  Fast forward 50 years the BUBS is the hottest thing in the American A Cappella scene. Starting with the 1st Runner-Up title in the Nationwide Sing Off, the BUBS went on to become the voices behind the top rated TV series GLEE ... is that big enough for you?  It is for me.

I will not bore you with details suffice to say that almost 300 BUBS alumni showed up at Tufts over Memorial Weekend for a 4-day celebration with lots of fond memories and non-stop singing. In the picture I was with BUBS from my years. We all aged, but when we hit those notes in perfect harmony we were young men again, as our eyes turned misty.  The very first song every BUB learns is 'Brothers-in-Song'. Yes, we were then and we are now, 'Brothers' to each other, as the BUBS spirit moves into the next 50 years.

Learn more about the BEELZEBUBS @ http:www.bubs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment