Friday, August 22, 2014

NASI LEMAK

You know you have arrived, in Southeast Asia, when you see Nasi Lemak served at breakfasts. We are at the Traders' Hotel in KL, a member of the Shangri-la Group and this is the pre-mixed version, obviously for the in-a-hurry crowd. It is like pre-mixed yogurt with fruits and muesli which is absolutely not my thing. I do my own.

This is Malaysia's National Dish ... fragrant rice cooked in coconut milk, Pandan leave, garnished with Ikan Bilis aka deep fried crispy anchovies, roasted baby peanuts, hard boiled egg segments, cucumber chunks and a generous helping of Sambal or chili paste. This is Malaysia's challenge to the Bibimbap from Korea, to the British Fry-Up from England, and to Congee and Fritters from Hong Kong. Since I am in Rome ... I had a very gratifying plate this morning, along with a few curried additions, so gratified I had to skip lunch.

Do you realize Nasi Lemak literally means 'oily or fatty rice' which of course is a major no-no in the obsessed world of healthy eating. Today words like 'rich & creamy' are used to describe the coconut flavored rice. It is often wrapped in banana leave, brown paper (as shown)  or even newspaper and it is now a 24-7 meal instead of just breakfast. To me it tastes better on the street, with sweat running down your forehead from the delicious and super flavorful Sambal. I have 2 more breakfasts here, you know what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment