Friday, August 22, 2014

JALAN ALOR

Jalan Alor off Bukit Bintang is arguably one of the hottest Night Food Markets, if not the most popular in KL. We made our first pilgrimage many moons ago, it was bustling then but it must be 10 times today  ... it is plain madness. The entire avenue was jam-packed with locals and tourists galore, including us who simply wanted to saunter. Jalan Alor is the Crown Prince of Malaysian street foods par excellence, there is no argument there, at least in my book.

To us, the Gold Medal still goes to the Durian outlets, selling Musang King at RM 16-30 per kilo and they are worth every penny.  I shall never forget that embarrassing episode back in the early '90s. Dora and I were hosted to dinner in KL, at the end the party was taken to Jalan Alor, for Durian. To reciprocate I insisted that I should pick up the bill, thinking it was just 'fruits' after dinner. I produced RM 100 - worth a lot some 20+ year ago - and the boss of the stall looked at me with this hard-to-forget expression that could only read ' ... are you from Mars, you may think it is funny but I think not, please do not play the generous card and embarrass yourself ...'  I could still feel that heat on my red face when I passed that same stall last night.      

No comments:

Post a Comment