Tuesday, November 26, 2013

UNI ... ALL TIME FAVORITE

Before and after I arrived in Tokyo I have been given 'friendly advice' on what I should eat. Knowing I will exercise my freedom to the hilt my family has issued reminders from .... you need to watch your cholesterol, to concerns about residual radioactivity in Japanese waters, to please be mindful of protecting the future of the ocean and seafood, give fish a chance. What does all this mean, really? Is this the time to take the high ground and be a step closer to sainthood? I am afraid not.

I have dinner service with Sensei today so I took a morning walk along the shores that ended at the Tsukiji Market. My legs went soft on me when I passed this mom & pop eatery, usually with a queue outside but it was only 11am so there was no lines. I relented, sat down and ordered what seemed to be the house special, the Uni Set. It was delicious, the taste and texture could only come from absolute freshness. The damage was Y1500 or HK$115, the most (twice as much in fact) I have paid for my main meal in the past 10-days, under my street foods budget. It was a steal though as one can never get anything that is even remotely close at home. The owner's wife took this picture and gave me a thumbs up. I was not sure it was her approval of my lunch, or was it my good looks?

1 comment:

  1. oh it must have melted in your mouth like butter...so jealous!

    good looks. ha. keeping that self-esteem at an all time high!

    ReplyDelete