Wednesday, August 14, 2013

ULTIMATE COMFORT FOOD

I used to be able to go on long business or leisure trips without any home cooking but I think age has changed that.  2 weeks, maximum 3 weeks if push comes to shove is all I can manage now, when I long for a simple bowl of congee. To me the Mother of Comfort Foods is Chicken Congee, Cantonese style, as shown. I made some from a left over French poulet yesterday and had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was a wonderful cleansing ritual. Anyone can do this at home, I mean anyone, if I can.

* cook rice in chicken stock or clear chicken soup to congee texture
* add chicken carcass & wings, left over from a roast is best
* thinly sliced dried oysters, salted eggs, thousand-year-old eggs
* slow cook 2-3 hours until ingredients combined with congee
* serve with a sprinkle of white pepper, Indonesian preferably
* garnish with finely chopped scallions, both green & white parts    

No comments:

Post a Comment