Tuesday, August 20, 2013

BEST EVER SCI-FI


I am not a big science fiction fan as my better half but this one I love to death ... 'Close Encounter of the Third Kind'. The year was 1977 and the whole world was 'wowed' by Steven Spielberg's rendition of what it might be like when visitors from outer space show up at our doors.

Spielberg already made a name for himself two years earlier with 'Jaws' in 1975, and this classic was in the same league, only to be followed by 'E.T.' in 1982 ... needless to say all top Hollywood box office hits. It is not the story line but Spielberg's technical wizardry that has captured my enthusiasm right up to this very day. I just watched it again on HBO Classics and all the emotions came right back.

Two other names, equally my favorites as well, added nobility to the film ... Richard Dreyfuss, again of 'Jaws' and subsequently 'American Graffiti' fame, plus John Williams from the Boston Pops whose music in the movie was foundation stones for future outer space and alien adventure flicks.

Oh ... I almost forgot about 'Barbarella' in 1968, when I was a Freshman at Tufts.  That of course has little to do with sci-fi but everything to do with one Jane Fonda, notably her anti-gravity strip tease veiled by the film's opening titles.  Speaking of moments one will never ever forget, that was one.

No comments:

Post a Comment