Sunday, February 12, 2012

WHITNEY IS NO LONGER WITH US!

I woke up to the extremely sad news of Whitney Houston's passing, at 48, the result of substance abuse and career failures but behind it all, probably from the demon of bad company. How unfortunate! It is a huge loss to the industry that such a talented woman should die so young. I am very old school, as in many other aspects of my existence, but especially in pop music. To me there are only 5 names in the small circle of accomplished female black divas; Ella Fitzgerald, Dionne Warwick, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross and last but certainly not the least Whitney Houston. Other songsters come and go ... Madonna, Mariah, Celine, J Lo and of course Lady Gaga but they can all eat the dust of my all time favorites.

Dora & I were at her concert some years ago, probably her only appearance in Hong Kong but I might be wrong. She was at the height of her career, and her arrogance, which often comes hand-in-hand with success in the music world. She was condescending to the audience, to the extent of being unprofessional, like walking off stage half way through a song, imagine that! That said, when she returned to being serious she delivered her magic, with all her might, like the first waves from a tsunami. I can still hear her, right now as I write, the power of that convincing and unmistaken Whitney crescendo which one immediately recognizes after the first few notes.

Sales of 'The Best of Whiney' will hit the charts in the ensuing weeks, I am sure, and why not?

I will miss you, will say a prayer for you, and  ... "I Will Always Love You".

Rest in Peace, Whitney!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment