Sunday, February 12, 2012

FAST DONOVAN FOOD

I was watching the re-run of MasterChef Australia 2009 when the finalists were in Hong Kong, one of them competed with Chef Pak Tam, a star pupil of Chef Donovan at the Derby.  Pak is a good friend and a respected teacher. The dish was classic Donovan ie multi-ingredients, multi-tasked, complicated, uncompromising and unforgiving ... Pigeon 2-Ways with Black Truffles & Ravioli. It was mind boggling that from start to plating it took only an hour.

From all the 1-on-1 coaching I was fortunate to receive from Donovan over the years, and especially the 2-weeks I spent at The Atlantic kitchen, I am trying to create a menu of what I call 'Fast Donovan Food' ie recipes that will capture the Chef's spirit, approach, creativity but above all his unyielding discipline to prepare quality dishes. It is home cooking after all, but with enough flair to make it presentable at dinner parties. I owe Donovan this much!

My fingers were itching after the show and, in the Chef's honour, made this the next day.

* breast & leg of a quail, quickly sauteed, then roasted to medium rare
* bed of grilled baby leeks, fava beans, lardon
* a quail egg, perferrably runny, halved
* port & red wine reduction using carcass of quail & mire poix
* truffle paste is more accessible & affordable, to add flavor and as garnish

My version of 'Fast Donovan Food' ... yes, it can be done within the hour. I shared this with Donovan, and he approved!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment