Sunday, January 13, 2019

SOONG KEE @ JALAN TUN H.S. LEE IN KL

 
Another hole-in-the-wall in the KL Chinatown neighborhood I checked out (and liked) was Soong Kee on Jalan Tun HS Lee which is a major road crosswise with the main drag by the Central Market. I am a fan of Axian, the Malaysian Chinese “Food Guru” on AFC or Asian Food Channel which I watch regularly for inspiration. He was just introducing Soong Kee a few weeks ago and here I am, perfect timing. Here is the story .. Soong Kee is renowned for its Beef Lo Mein and the guy in the red polo was Mr Congee selling across the street as a competitor. One day the two owners decided 1 plus 1 could mean 3 or even 4 so they joined hands. The rest is history as the partnetrship has been hugely successful serving KL locals, out-of-towners and tourists like me, who need the menu. In greed I ordered the famous Mixed Pork Innards Congee, Steamed Chicken, Plain Wonton & Veggies .. way too much but it was an excellent sample of what they do best because every table ordered the same items, almost. I loved everything and my only issue is the congee can be less salty. The place is high keyed, quite stressful in fact, with all the customer traffic and the help rushing around at dinner time. To put on a positive spin this is Soong Kee’s unique ambience, the ingredient that qualifies a successful road side street food joint that M-star restaurants can never accomplish, no matter how hard they try. The name is now on my “Must Return” list and I urge you to put it on yours.     

No comments:

Post a Comment