Thursday, July 02, 2009

A TOUCHING EXAMPLE OF KINDNESS

There is quite a population of Koreans at LCB, apparently a name that generates a following in Korea, as it probably generates decent job opportunity in industry, too. Outside of English, the most spoken languages in the hallways are Korean & Putonghua. I have the pleasure of meeting a few young Korean classmates in both Patisserie (5) and Cuisine (8) .... amazing concentration. We always exchange views on food, in minute details as part of our heritage. Why not, we are in culinary school after all. One of my all time favorite Korean specialty is Bi-Bim-Bab which I referred to in a previous post. This is a staple rice dish one can get anywhere around the country ie a symphony of finely julienned vegetables - carrot, cucumber, black mushroom, pea sprouts - and scrambled eggs, minced beef, plus a generous helping of a spicy sauce that is sprinkled with white sesame, on a bed of rice. It can be served either piping hot, or cold Japanese 'Bento' style, which we see a lot at LCB during lunch break. On Monday one of my Cuisine classmates, Grace from Seoul, came up to me ... 'this is for you' ... I opened the box, voila, imagine the surprise! I was deeply touched by her thoughtfulness, and extremely grateful for the time she must have spent preparing it before class. This is a fine demonstration of kindness & care. I took it back to Metro Inn that evening, brewed a nice pot of green tea, turned off the TV, carefully studied the ingredients, noted the recipe, before I proceeded to eat. I took a long time, savoring every bite of this very special dinner.

Grace ... you made my day! It was the best meal I had in my room over the past 10-weeks. The Bi-Bim-Bab was perfectly made, and it reminded me of my fondness for Korean cooking. I am indebted to your friendship, what else is there to ask in life. Thankyou!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment