Wednesday, July 01, 2009

I PASSED .....

It is official - I passed the 'Re-Sit' this morning and that, I certainly hope, I passed the Basic Patisserie Course. It was 8am when the 'less competent' were assembled in Kitchen #2 and it was not just us from Basic but fellow students from Intermediate & Superior as well, altogether 7 of us doing different 're-sit' exams. Mine was the now notorious Eclairs! Listening to Uncle Joe I tried to compartmentalize all the right moves (to repeat) as well as the wrong moves (to avoid) and it worked. My babies did not burn this time since I was almost glued to the oven, my creme had excellent consistency, even my fondant performed at 37C ie you can see the 'shine' on the Eclairs. We were supervised by Chefs whom we have never met, from the senior courses, who were very supportive knowing how nervous we all were. Everyone just kept our heads down, and no one spoke, it was weird compared to what we are used to. ' .... Raymond, you passed, but you must understand this passing grade is very far away from the industry standard we aim to set for LCB students'. In other words my Eclairs passed the asssessment but would they sell, would any customer buy them? Of course not, that is the difference. It was almost noon when I cleaned up my bench, and packed up my tool kit. I felt a lot lighter on my feet when I walked out of Kitchen #2 with my classmates. I passed!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATS - although some of those eclairs are looking a bit worse for wear...

    ReplyDelete