Tuesday, May 12, 2009

FRENCH CLASSICS

Today we were introduced to 3 French classics, dishes we order without much thoughts. I did OK even though I was constantly seeking help in the kitchen. Chef, is this correct? Chef, what happened to my sauce? Chef, what did I do wrong? It is banal but I will say it anyway, there are a lot more than meets the eye in cooking, detail recipes notwithstanding. On Day #1 they all said ' .... remember, there is so such thing as a stupid question'. I accepted the invitation at face value, and I wonder if they regret it now.

* Carre d'Agneau Persille : Rack of Lamb with Parsley Crust
* Ratatouille Provencale : Vegetable Stew Provencale, no, not the mousy Disney version
* Pommes Anna : Anna Potatoes

What I love most are the historical background & anecdotes that accompany the dishes. We have to Google every dish before class, information we acquire on this exercise alone is invaluable for the rest of my 'foodie' existence. Global assignments & travels have made Chef Steve a wonderful story teller. For example; how the French fell in love with potatoes way back when or, the beach restaurant in Sicily that only serves one single dish of lobster pasta? Equipped with a mountain of recipes my goal is to discipline myself to practise, practise & practise until I reach that 'standard' I seek, as a 'wannabe home cook'.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. HEY!! I'm the Wannabe...you are the Maestro!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The damage to my computer mounts as I salivate on the keyboard while reading your messages. What an experience.!! Wish I could have joined you on your walk to town.

    ReplyDelete