Tuesday, May 19, 2009

DEMO ASSISTANT

We take turns to be the Chef's Assistant at the demo kitchen at every lesson. The job is really the 'go-for', with cleaning on the side. A good assignment though as it gives you a front row seat to the action. I am sure I was picked because of the horror show last night. In the picture I was asked to keep the lamb shank standing, which was challenging. We did Jarrets d'Agneau Braises au Vin Rouge today ie Braised Lamb Shanks with Red Wine Jus, served with risotto, French beans & turned glazed carrots. Shanks are not top cut meats (used to feed dogs in the old days) but it is now a trendy item in contemporary eateries. I like to think I have recovered from yesterday but am still not entirely together, my key problems are in the details & timing. Chef Steve had a 1-on-1 feedback with me, he will put my 'work flow' under a microscope next week, which I welcome & need.

BTW one of the challenges today was 'turning' the carrots. This privilege is reserved for the most junior kitchen hands like an apprentice ie preparing (or turning) vegetables to identical sizes, in this case carrots, but it could be potatoes, beets etc. One does not normally pay much attention to these art pieces on the plate until one is exposed to the discipline behind them. I had to do quiet a few in order to arrive at the final 6 turned & glazed carrots on the plate, only to be told I served too many. '3 are enough', one learns.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment