Tuesday, April 28, 2009

RAISON D'ETRE

I cannot spell it so Lionel came to my rescue. What I meant to say is 'raison d'etre' is alive & well @ LCB. Within 48 hours the entering class of April 2009 quickly realizes our 'reason for being' in the kitchen. This in part is how LCB sets industry standards, since 1895 in Paris. Not only do the French know cooking techniques, we now witness first hand how they can teach them as well. Central to all this is a single word, a word that drives LCB's 'raison d'etre' ... DISCIPLINE! Our instructors are extremely caring, but they take no prisoners when it comes to discipline. There is only one-way to do things here, or the highway. Why not? I am a strong believer in this approach.

When I joined the search business I had the fortune of being mentored by a leading recruiter at his time, the late Andy Choa. I learned the 'raison d'etre' of executive search from Andy like I learned how to precision cut vegetables, with a huge dose of discipline. The formula calls for a willing teacher & a receptive student. Sounds easy but not in this fast pace world, not anymore, when the lack of patience on both sides defeats the age old union of 'teaching & learning'. Sadly, unending revenue & profit targets in modern business today have eroded the noble goal of proper conduct, of doing it the right way or, 'raison d'etre'. In recent years I have craved for the opportunity to learn, and to be taught again, as a humble student. Talking about a dream coming true, here I am wearing that very hat, as seen in the picture.

This was taken at 6pm today when, for the first time in my 60 years on earth, I prepared a Fond de Legumes & a Fond de Poisson (check out that clarity Donovan) completely on my own, a la Cordon Bleu. See that smile? I have never felt so driven, so elated and so proud of myself, at work, for a long long time.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. A happy moment, thanks for sharing. We need to see more photos of you if possible to monitor your weight lost programme down under.

    These fancy french cooking siklls are doing you some good.

    Lilian

    ReplyDelete