Thursday, April 30, 2009

MISE EN PLACE

It is loosely translated in the most layman term as 'having the pieces in places' or as our Chef/Lecturer puts it : 'Preparation for Service'. This principle is central to success for any cook, any chef, any kitchen or any restaurant. There is no exception, I do not think. From my observations in recent years, watching how the Derby kitchen operates, 'mise en place' is an extremely demanding mix between the science of logistics management, and the fine art of flexibility in problem solving. My point is we do not need to be in culinary school to be taught this skill. All of us should have been exposed to this approach in our work life, if you stop to think about projects you were engaged, in whatever context.

Someone asked me why I want to cook 'which is totally at the other end of the spectrum from headhunting'. Sorry, that assessment is incorrect. The approach to 'mis en place' in a global CEO search is, really, quite similar to preparing an 8-course tasting menu, with a theme, for a mixed party of discerning meat, seafood and vegetarian gourmets. The client, the universe, the candidates,the presentation (exact same word in both context by the way) ..... get my drift?

This is a pet subject of mine that is taking shape now that I talk, walk, eat & sleep 'Mise En Place'. Do not quote me yet but one day, when I feel confidently enough, I might write a paper. The big question is, should this go to a headhunting or a food journal? Well, perhaps the face-saving exit is a satire column somewhere!

1 comment:

  1. AHEM it is actually mis en place - the way you spelled it makes it sound like miso soup

    ReplyDelete