Monday, April 27, 2009

MY FIRST DAY @ LCB

Well, this is the Gate to Mecca, 'where many have passed, but some failed'. I will know which side of the equation I sit, in time. Our class of 15 was put through its paces from 11am to 7pm between lecture, demo & practical. The demo ran late, we only had 15 minutes before practical which meant no one had lunch! From 230pm to 630pm it was kitchen work, followed by cleaning. I think chefs take pride in showing us earthlings how they survive without eating, like they are a cut above us, now I have further proof.

Our Chef Instructor : Steve Belcher is a veteran who joined LCB when it opened in 1995. A fine Aussie gentleman who labels himself 'old school' he has won '3 Hats', has worked from busboy to executive at 5-star hotels, & has taught for 17 years. 'I love food, wine, cooking & I love teaching'. Good enough for us. My classmates came from all over the world, including Israel from Israel (Joe even you cannot beat that one) & I got on royally with a few young chaps including a Korean designer who calls himself Scott because it is 'easier to remember than Kim & Park' he added, a cool dude. He told me I am his father's age, and he is Terri's age and, why not?

Today's practical is about knife skills and precision veggie cuts. My Chef Fraternity Brothers will get a big kick from the following : Brunoise 2x2x2mm fine dice, Jardiniere 20x4x4mm batons, Julienne 40x2x2mm, Paysanne 10mm to shape, Mirepoix 25mm rough cut & Macedoine 8mm dice. Q&As were shot as us nervous souls all afternoon, the end result was 12 Bandaids being given out in the first lesson, a record according to Chef Steve. Luckily I did not make the casualty list, thanks to Chef Cham & Donovan's coaching. I did very well in the citrus segments, again thanks to all my 'si-fu-dai-lo' @ Derby. There is home work, we have to Google 4 basic French stocks ie demiglace, viande, fumet & volaille. Do not ask me what they are, please. I am taking a break to write this, after a salad of oakleaf lettuce & carrott, with dark vinegar only, no oil, plus a Marmite tea! I will be a fraction of myself when you see me again. One last comment before I start my homework - and then bed as I am exhausted - this blog has become my source of entertainment in the evening, believe it or not.

As my lawyer cousin Sue wrote : .... 'do make the most of what appears to be an unplesant situation that you have managed to get yourself into ......' What a mouthful of legal verbiage but she is right on the $. You can be sure I will do that, even if this 6-day a week deal will kill me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment