Thursday, October 13, 2011

SHOPPING

While Dora continues her never-ending quest for the best shopping mall on Planet Earth, I have given up altogether. My vices in this space used to be watches, spectacles and shoes. I never seemed to have enough of them until retirement when the penny dropped ... I can only wear one of them at any one time! I used to shop for my 'Central Uniform' twice a year, off-the-rack, mostly at Brooks Brother and when I feel miserable, hating my job, and myself, at Zegna. Retail therapy really works, try it. Needless to say, I do not do that anymore. I learned the principle of 'Less is More' by gradually giving my collection to charity.

That said, I am back into 'Elective Shopping' these days, for our grand twins, Jamie & Sonya Fung. We were at Hankyu and had the best time wandering around the kids floor ... clothes, shoes, acessories and of course very creative playthings, rather than just toys. It does not take a marketing genius to realize the potential of this huge market (cosmetics is still #1 I should think) and the choices, out of this world, we were born two generations too soon. As for prices, I really do not know how parents in Japan can afford to clothe their kids, if price tags at these super malls are any guide. Ours are not quite 1-year old but judging from the dedication and smiles on Grandma Dora, I can confirm she is tickled pink by the opening of yet another shopping frontier.

Meet my new pal, the Japanese speaking Big Teddy ....
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment