Tuesday, July 21, 2015

STREET FOOD HEAVEN


The Bangkok street food scene is, in my book, pretty close to Nirvana.

A perfectly grilled stick of octopus (I much prefer the tentacles) plus a stick of mixed meat balls gently brushed with a wafer thin layer of fish sauce, dipped in a vinaigrette with or without chili ... I asked for the former, trying to act nonchalant and macho since the old lady next to me placed the same order. It was delicious but God, was it hot! I lasted 3 bites before begging for relief from the fruit cart nearby for a giant slice of the very sweet watermelon in season, to extinguish the flames on my tongue.

B30 for the 2 sticks, B15 each, plus B30 for the watermelon, a total or B60 or $14 ... an unbeatable Amuse Bouche before my main meal, Chicken Rice down the road. I was leaning against a lamp post on Pratu Nam in the open embrace of Bangkok by night, people watching, sweating profusely and loving every bit of this carefree encounter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment