Thursday, February 06, 2014

TAX REFUND SCAM

Have you noticed that in addition to immigration, customs and of course, security there is now a 4th queue at major airports ... especially those cities that offer 'shopping' as a key tourist attraction like Paris, Milan, London and even Berlin. As a dormant and reluctant member of a shopaholic family this last act, this last queue before the flight home is like my Coup de Grace ... end my misery, right here, please ... I would quietly say to myself. Dare I say it loud, of course not. Asian shoppers, including compatriots from one 'strong nation' make up most if not all of the statistics.

This picture hailed from a queue in Milan, sans Gweilo, sans Gringo, right?  This was Line #2 where you pick up the $ after Line #1 where officious, unsmiling authorities had to bless the wads of forms first. Some even check if the purchases are in your possession, God forbids! I was holding a place for my better half while she was busy at Line #1. Her patience is never phased, a stark contrast to my zero tolerance. At this very line I witnessed a young PRC couple received a refund of Euro 4000 in cash, what exactly did they buy to deserve this generosity?

Fast forward to Paris 2 days ago before we board for Buenos Aires we finished Line #1 and to our absolute horror found that 54 other folks were ahead of us if we want the refund in Euro but ... 'if you are in a hurry try US$ refund with only 19 hopeful folks, if I were you I would make sure I catch the flight as these lines take time'. Those were such considerate words, such put-your-client-first attitude that almost brought tears to my eyes. Many at this stage would probably forget it (unless you expect Euro 4000) lest we will miss our flight. Now, this is where tax refund becomes a scam.

I have a simple solution though, do not buy so you do not need refund. How about that?      

No comments:

Post a Comment