Saturday, June 26, 2010

BREAKFAST TRAILER

One of my favorites about eating in Taiwan is the 'Trailer Breakfast'. This is a unique phenomenon one can see every morning in most street corners in the city centers. Usually run by extremely affable and even more so, extremely hard working ladies, it is such a pure joy to see them first thing in the morning. The menu is universal ie breakfast sandwiches a la Taiwan, plus drinks. I am addicted to what I name the 'Supreme' which is the BF version of a pizza with every topping on it. I would normally grab one on the go but since I have time these days, I want to find out more about this wonderful product. This nice and 'generous' lady - who told me she understands my Mandarin (not Putonghua here I beg your pardon) a lot better than the average Hong Kong tourist - took me through her recipe. I felt like I was back at LCB.

The 'Supreme' is layered as follows : white bread, either plain or toasted; a special spread that is essentially butter, mayo & honey; finely julienned crispy cucumber threads lightly dressed in a sweet vineger, an egg over easy, crispy at the sides but still runny; another layer of bread or toast; the spread again; smoked back bacon, not crispy; a thin leave of lettuce; minced dried pork toppings a la Tung Yang variety, the Piece de Resistance; sprinkle of a special sweetened pepper mix; lastly, the final layer of bread or toast.

It is just so Taiwanese, and so very good. Cost? NT$35 or HK$9 for my 'Supreme' as the regualr sandwiches are only NT$30, the ice coffee with milk was another NT$15 so the bill was NT$50 or HK$12.5! The painfully boring hotel breakfast buffet - 'darling' of tourists, is NT$400 + 10% service (for what) - can take a back seat, way way back. I had 3 breakfasts in a row at this joint next to my hotel in Kaohsiung, it was heavenly!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Ray,
    How come there is no such thing in HK??
    If what you describe is so good??
    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  2. So convenient. I love trailer food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Raymond,how are you? Hope you still remember who i am =)

    Tammy (Miss " Distinction")

    ReplyDelete