Sunday, June 20, 2010

FATHER'S DAY 2010

I want to do something different this year, I want to spend Father's Day, alone. Father's Day is a brilliant invention by Hallmark, next to Mother's Day of course and whatever else their marketing team comes up with. I am cynical as I get older, I think every day can be Father's Day as long as a child is prepared to make it happen. Why today then? I know it is a strange move but after years of feasting rituals on Dad's Day with the family, all of a sudden I feel the urge to reflect. What kind of a father am I? What have I done as the father? Did I make any impact on my daughters? If so, what are they and if not, why? I pose these questions as I see my role of 'father' becoming less relevant, let alone significant, as in yester years. I will never forget those wonderful Kodak moments - light years ago - when I had to quietly enter our home in the evening to avoid the stampede of 3 cheering girls, and 2 barking dogs. Could those be the most glorious days of fatherhood for me? I am a Pisces, a hopeless romantic who tends to let sentiments and emotions run wild. I am told I should be a lot more confident in this space but I am what I am, suspicious and worried.

I was offered a good package by Swire Travels to visit Kaohsiung so I took it. I want the opportunity to reflect, to let my thoughts wander, and to put them into words if I can. I found out from my Cordon Bleu sojourn that being alone makes one prolific, as one can stay focused, without being plagued by the mundane day-to-day activities. To me it is the best form of therapy at this stage of my life.

So here I am .... 49 floors high, at the The Splendor, in downtown Kaohsiung. Watch this space!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment