Monday, June 21, 2010

'TSE SEE YIN'

The 3 characters in Chinese are literally translated as 'thank - teacher - banquet' .... or losely, a party to show appreciation to your teacher for his or her efforts. It used to be a big deal in the calendar when we were in secondary school, when an Organizing Committee was formed to oversee proceedings. When my Mentor made the decision to move on, I gathered enough courage to invite him to dinner at home, with the promise to show case, as much as I can, what I learned, or rather what he taught. I also invited several others who brought him to HK 6 years ago, to help celebrate his successful tenure. To do so I prepared a 9-course tasting menu, including a couple of my own entree ideas, like the 'Mini Breakfast' in the picture. It was more scary than finals at LCB. I know I must be at the top of my game ever, as a home cook. My mise-en-place was military precision, and I practiced each recipe at least twice before curtain time last Friday.

DONOVAN COOKE 'TSE SEE YIN' MENU

* Fresh Crabmeat in Aspic
* Mini Breakfast
* Cold Borscht
* Seafood Cocotte
* Asparagus & Mushroom Risotto with 3 Cheeses
* Baked Sea Bass in Dill Butter
* Roast Game Hen with Braised Endives & Glazed Carrots
* Poached Pears in Red Wine with Chantilly Cream
* Galliano Souffle

My adrenalin went wild in the kitchen. I cannot get over the challenge of serving the chef who patiently taught me how, step by step, it was a natural high for me. We had a memorable evening, due to the friendship, the sharing, the fine wines and at the end of the list, my food .... but man, it is good enough for me. Donovan told me I passed, which kept me up all night.

'MINI BREAKFAST TOWER'

Wheat Toast / Butter / Vegemite / Chunk Marmalade / Mushroom / Crispy Bacon / Tomato / Melted Smoked Cheddar / Quail Egg
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment