Sunday, October 04, 2015

DELIVERANCE!

To many in your 60s "Deliverance" is our collective memory of that 1972 epic movie of 4 close city dweller friends' hair raising story of adventure in the wilderness and, of course, that everlasting classic theme song "The Dueling Banjos" that takes one's breath away every time it is played. Are you aware that in 2008, the movie was selected for preservation in the U.S. National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being 'culturally, historically and aesthetically significant'?

Speaking of 2008 I happened to be in Beijing for National Day that October when I decided that my hard earned career in the headhunting business just lost its appeal, I was 59 and I threw in the towel lock, stock and barrel as the saying goes. I was a happy man and 7 years have lapsed since.

Yes, I may have done things that catered to my ambition and greed like culinary schooling, wanderlust with best pals, insatiable desire to taste and experiment with food .. ad nauseum but at bottom I feel something is amiss. I may give the impression of being free and easy but I do not like the way I am. Inadequacies across too many fronts are emerging such as attitude, health, ruminations, anxiety, procrastination just to name a few and it is time to act, and to make them right again.

"Deliverance" for me, starting October 2015, means "Liberation" .... I want to free myself from the shackles of life. I need to redefine what I want, rather than how I cope with what everybody around me wants. I must start by being truthful to my family and my friends but above all, to myself. Yes, there is still time, but I must act quickly to maximize what is left of my sojourn in this life.

So, here I am and, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment