Sunday, June 29, 2014

FATHER'S DAY

I am not big on official declaration of love a la Hallmark ... be it Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and indeed, Father's Day. I find those unimaginative, syrupy and formula driven words appalling. Even more difficult for me is the regimen of saying those magic words ... 'I Love You Dad' ... on one given day a year, presumably created by Hallmark. What about the other 364 days? Forgive my being sarcastic but it is like going to confession once a year, and penance is a Hallmark card, presented amidst a Father's Day Special Buffet or Dim Sum at Yum Cha ... then comes the Coup de Grace ... the hero of the day gets the tab. Can you see it, can you believe it, can you stomach it?

Enough ranting from a grumpy 65 year old ... now let me share with you the long awaited rainbow. The first ever card, written by our grand twins Jamie & Sonya. They are not quite 4 and they believe in Santa Claus, in Christmas, in loving both parents in equal doses. They fight for time with their parents, they love to be held, they ask to be hugged and kissed, they touch, they squiggle until they find the perfect spot in your arms - just like our adult daughters used to do at that age, the operative words are 'used to' here which I miss so much I get misty eyes when I talk about it, right this moment - and they have no qualms about saying 'I Love You' whenever they feel it, as shown in my Fathers Day card, in writing.  We need to all learn from the twins. This is true love, Father's Day messages are not quite it.

"Dear Kung Kung, Happy Father's Day Love Sonya & Jamie" ... yes, there is hope and meaning in life yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment