Thursday, February 24, 2011

CHARCUTERI

Without any doubt this is one of my top favorites in the French culinary dictionary. I believe the Romans created this ages ago, preparing meats before refrigeration came on the scene. A lot has happened since and 'charcuterie' now covers a wide array of prepared meats, or 'forcemeat' as it is called, mostly from pork. What I enjoy the most are flavors derived from the process like salt cured, brined, smoked etc which open up one's taste buds. At one of the first demo classes at LCB we were told the 2 key ingredients that bring us taste are; salt & fat. Voila, this is what charcuterie is all about, which explains why I like it so much. A platter of ham, bacon, sausages, terrines, galantines, pates .... with a side salad, pickles & gerkins mean heaven to me. This is exactly what I had for lunch at a beautiful family bistro, Le Petit Zinc, while sightseeing in Annecy. It was brilliant!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment