Tuesday, June 07, 2016

SENDING "DAD" ON HIS LAST VOYAGE

I am here in Maine to send the patriarch of  my Host Family whilst at Tufts on his last voyage, someone I address as "Dad". He was my mentor in American during my formative years, age 18-25, and subsequently my beacon and role model since. Our Father & Step Son relationship has spanned 48 years.  
True to form "Dad" planned his own Celebration of Life down to every details which included the release of  his ashes in the charismatic bay that faces his idyllic home on a charming island. He wanted it to be a private family event and Heavens complied by bringing in the fog for ultimate privacy. He wanted to go off from his soul mate, the vessel he so loved, "the 3rd lady in my life" after his wife and daughter .. it was a most moving, solemn and beautiful ceremony.

His last instruction was ... "mark the spot on GPS where you will drop my urn and when it is time for Mom to go please drop her right on top of me" ... tears still stream now as I write. What a fine human being, what a dedicated husband, and what a gentleman. I love you, and I miss you dearly "Dad".         

No comments:

Post a Comment