Sunday, June 19, 2016

AMERICA!?

I spent my formative years from 18-25 in New England and in so many ways my host family the Cochranes has instilled in me the "Americanism" which has become one of the stilts of my persona.

From the news we see dirty politics, untrustworthy politicians, crazy people on the street who shoot at will, police violence plus a litany of social issues ad nauseum. The million dollar questions we all ask are from the other side of the world is ... what is happening to America, has she gone mad?

My recent reunion with the family I grew up with yielded a totally different perspective. Obviously the America I remember and treasure is still around. With my siblings I was able to reinstall our faith on family values, decency and what it means to be living. On the farmer's deck at my brother's retirement home we were able to engage in metaphysics, amidst the dribbles of an evening downpour. Life stood still, carrying us back to the 60's and 70's with Dad holding court. We covered the frailties of being human, America on the world stage, the mystery of death and dying, our legacy to the next generation and how we should manage our remaining years without regrets.

Yes, America is alive and well .. these are not her best moments but she will survive and move on to higher grounds. I hope that will come soon.

God Bless America!      

No comments:

Post a Comment