Friday, July 13, 2012

WANDEE BOAT NOODLE

A bowl of noodles from a street stall, or a resturant, or 5-star hotel is de rigueur not only in Bangkok, but all over the Kingdom.  I really must learn this ultimate Thai comfort food and my prayer was answered yesterday at my Wandee Refresher.

Why 'Boat' or 'Ruang' in Thai?  It is the presentation.  The noodle is made up of all kinds of goodies, classically displayed in the replica of a wooden fishing boat like Sashimi is presented in Japan, from which one picks like a buffet or, in my case, the whole 9-yards, the entire lot. Not a single morsel should be left behind when it comes to a Boat Noodle.

In a typical bowl one should expect : stewed pork, marinated pork, pork blood (not for me), mini fish balls and served in a dark soup stock which one should immediatey recognize on the first sip.  The noodle come in 3 sizes; fat like 'Hoi Fun', medium like "Lye Fun' and of course thin ones as in 'Mee Fun'.  Adding to it are 5 kinds of vegetables notably Chinese celery, coriander leaves, sawtooth coriander, morning glory & spring onion. Not unlike many Thai recipes the trick is in the authentic taste of the dark soup which is too lengthy to describe here.  Let me know if you want to, genuinely, try the recipe.  Please do not interpret though, follow every step and ingredient, show some respect.

The killer, which many would frown on, is the deep fried pork lard mixed with garlic.  Nuggets of lard cut straight from the fatty skin, fried to perfect golden crispy brown, is the official garnish without which one cannot claim the holy name of a Kwei Dui Ruang or Boat Noodle.

Dora would forbid me to include this, in the name of health but how can I face Professor Wandee and my teachers if I present a bowl without the toppings.  It will be like wearing a counterfeit Cartier, God forbids!

No comments:

Post a Comment