Friday, July 13, 2012

SVB AIRPORT EATS

At Suvarnabhumi Airport on the 1F arrival area, at the far left end of the building (facing out) there is a canteen for locals, the name is Magic!

Instead of paying premium upstairs for tasteless, non-food stomach fillers do try this outlet, where patrons are mostly airport staff, locals, and increasingly tourists introduced by diligent guides who have the best interests of their charge at heart, right up to the end.  Bravo ... Magic is like a mini food court one finds in any department store, with the exact complement of indigenous Thai street foods, my Archilles Heel.  I just love the parade and I am insatiable, like a kid in a candy store.

My favorite stop is Maeboon, as shown, which serves a variety of Chui Chow congee, or porridge if you insist, which is what it says on the board.  One can order any combination between the basic of minced pork, to ribs, to innards (pork liver is very good but in view of my fatty liver I reluctantly passed), to duck, to seafood and of course, to the catch-all version which is not listed, but offered to pre-flight gourmands like yours truly.  I just finish a bowl of fish congee, with a poached egg, loads of coriander, Chinese celery stalk, and finely chopped preserved radish ... a real pick-a-upper indeed, something Hong Kong does not measure up.

Now I am ready to sleep through the 2.5 hour flight home, who needs Y-class CX junk food anyway?  

2 comments:

  1. Ray,
    Does it mean going to the arrival level for the food first b4 immigration? I must try it next time. Thanks for the tips. You know that I like to venture just like you. Unfortunately I still needs to work n do not have the luxury of time and money !!
    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Surgeon ... you know how to MAKE $ alright but you must learn to also MAKE TIME! Do not let this nonsense about not having $ get in the way, it is the worst of excuses. How much $ do you need to do what I do, my friend, not much! As for airport eats, you check in first (give yourself enough time) then go down to ground level, eat, then to Immigration.

    ReplyDelete