Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"TOKYO"

In the delicious world of Thai street foods this is a mystery which, to date, no one has been able to explain to me why it is called "Tokyo"?

Seen on many corners this is a favorite of school children, a primary customer target to the vendors.  The ingredients are all there, in the picture : a thin smear of sweet flour, the same as in egg rolls, a quail egg cracked on top, a tiny bite of minced pork with preserved sweet radish, a dash of Maggi, the Thai staple, and lastly a squeeze of Mayo ... simply let the ingredients warm over the hot plate, roll, and it is done.

I could not resist. I waited patiently in line, salivating behind a bunch of 12 year olds, clicking away as they looked at me as if I am from Mars.  I controlled my urge and ordered only 4 ... 25 Baht, the lady said.  OMG, either prices have gone up 25% ie from 20 -25 or I paid the 'farang' price.  Who cares?  This is truly an indigenous Thai snack, notwithstanding it is named after the capital of Japan. Any suggestion on why?

1 comment:

  1. Ray,
    You know I walk the streets in BKK but have not come across Tokyo??
    Where can you find them and is it a lunch or dinner time thing??
    Would like me to direct me to a location??
    Philip

    ReplyDelete