Tuesday, May 10, 2011

LONE RANGER SOJOURNS




Since retirement I have come to enjoy what I call my 'Lone Ranger Sojourns' which I try to do every 3-4 months. The criteria that qualify these trips are; I travel alone, to less popular 2nd or even 3rd tier cities, in Asia predominantly and not China, buy the cheapest seats on any airline, minimum packing, stay in budget hotels that offer the basics, no fancy or Michelin meals, mass market street foods all the way, find out what the locals eat, document how they prepare their food, befriend street cooks if possible, learn from them, take lots of notes and photographs, walk instead of taking transportation whenever I can ..... I did a lot of this during my 6-weeks at Wandee in Bangkok, and later in Kaoshiung. I am determined to keep these sojourns alive, to complement my decade long cooking school dreams.

I am transiting Singapore now, on my way to Johor Bahru, a seaside town a stone throw from Singapore which I wanted to visit for years, but failed. Swire Travel set me up at this brand new IBIS hotel on Balestier Road near Novena. It was a S$22 ride from Changyi Airport, the same distance as going into the CBD Orchard Road area. For S$168 I get a comfortable room, with breakfast thrown in. No tooth brushes, Q-tip or body cream though. The Novena MRT station is only 8-minutes away, from where you have access to anywhere in the city state. Balestier is Singapore's equivalent to Morrison Hill Road, with shops after shops of lighting fixture. To me the main attraction is the abundance of local eateries nearby, predominantly Bak Kut Teh, Hainan Chicken Rice and Nasi outlets which I intend to explore.

IBIS Singapore Novena : 6 Irrawaddy Road @ www.ibishotel/7451

No comments:

Post a Comment