Tuesday, December 08, 2009

QUOTABLE QUOTE

Church is not on my schedule on Sundays, nor is it on Dora's. However, she has become a regular on this Sunday morning broadcast from the Crystal Cathedral in America. She likes the setting, the singing, but mostly the non-denominational sermons from preachers who are true masters of communication. Just this past Sunday I sat with her and became mesmerized by this 50th something pastor from a Chicago parish. He talked about prayers from on high that guided him, and his Church, to cope with one economic crisis after another. He reiterated the need of faith in such dire circumstances when helplessness over-rules.

He then observed how people have such short memories that as soon as the going gets better, we are out spending. The quote I want to share is ' ... we must all learn to emancipate ourselves from this insidious escalation of incessant consumer insecurity ...' Wow! Just how these preachers can put words together and make them sound like a Rx prescription from a physician is absolutely beyond me. As the only man at home for so many years (before my son-in-law joined the clan) I am happy to report I surived this highly contagious & incurable disease that, fortunately, only targets the Tang women. I will pass this on to the bona fide members of Shopperholic Anonymous in my dear family.

Postscript : I believe Revlon - or is it the other cosmetics company - created the 'Lipstick Index' some years ago ie when the economy goes down, lipsticks sales go up, since it is the most cost efficient way for women to look and feel good. One more excuse for the shoppers, I guess.

GO FANCL .... LESS IS MORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment