Tuesday, December 03, 2013

WHAT A SOJOURN !!!

Rechecking my calendar it was late May this year when I accidentally ran into the webpage of my Sensei, Marie Nameshida. After a robust exchange of emails she graciously accepted my proposal in mid June for a 2-week, 1-on-1 intensive course. I waited patiently for this Tokyo Sojourn to happen but, like a flash of lightning, it is now over.    

Look at Sensei, in her regal pose, with the class notes and recipes she meticulously prepared for our encounter. She has taught me much more than just Japanese cooking, but Japan as a nation, and what it means to be Japanese. In my quest as a Food Anthropologist, this is exactly what I look for. Between Sensei's attentive coaching in class, daily hands-on exposure to a wide spectrum of local fares, and of course my insatiable street foods adventures I have, at least on the surface, acquired a basic understanding of the vast food culture here. With a bit of courage I will start serving Japanese dishes back at TKT.

Marie, you have changed my life in the world of cooking, I shall miss you.

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu!

1 comment:

  1. I too had fun meeting you, Sensei Marie, and our new friend James from DC. Ray, your blog is so much fun to read! Keep cooking, eating, and blogging all about it!
    Happy holidays to you and your family :)

    Arnold

    ReplyDelete