Sunday, September 04, 2011

LE FESTIN DU CONSEIL CONJUGAL

I was given a tall order recently by Jess, the kind that only appears in the Master Chef Series. A young couple, close friends of hers, has decdied to tie the knot and I am to host, and to cook, a dinner with a 'nuptial theme'. I am supposed to share the matrimonial wisdom I have gained (sic) from my own 30-year term .... bad pun, I know, but it is 'cute' and it is my poetic license. I suggested we use the number 9, roughly translated as 'lasting' or 'long-living' so we had a party of 9, with 9 courses. I like to think it made an impact not only to the 'newlys' but to everyone around the dinner table as well, including Dora and I.

With Lionel's advice in French vocabulary, we gave the party a name ie The Banquet of Marriage Counselling. The menu has 2 parts : key operative words useful in maintaining a marriage, accompanied by the dish served. For the couple I also prepared flip cards with simple explanatory words.

* AMUSE : Sense of Humor - Abalone Sauteed in Butter with Lime
* STACKING : Build & Share - TKT Signature Mini Breakfast
* SIMPLICITY : Cherish Normalcy - Sweet Corn Veloute
* HARMONY : Aim for Consensus - Gnocchi in 4 Cheeses
* INDULGENCE : Surprise & Treat Each Other - Lobsters on Beans
* MINCED : Nuptial Amalgamation - Labb Moo ie Sauteed Minced Pork
* HEAT : Learn to Tolerate - Panang Koong ie Spicy Prawns
* IN LAWS : Be Nice - Khai Look Koey ie Son in Law Eggs
* PLACATION : Soothing is Art - Classic Tao Soun ie Mung Beans in Coconut Cream
* SWEETNESS : Will Always Win - Pavlova

It was fun, it was memorable, and it was educational, for me esepcially as I realize I am not practising what I preach!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment