Thursday, March 04, 2010

LUNG KEE @ TAIPEI

I am so sorry there is no photo attached with this blog as I left my camera in the hotel. We were introduced to Lung Kee in Taipei which, arguably, is the 'most traditional' Shanhainese meal I had yet, and that includes the many I visited in Shanghai. The tell-tale is in the sauces, if you would allow this amatuer to make a statement. Sugar and vinegar make the difference, especially in the brasied dishes. I may be Cantonese but my food upbringing during childhood years was influenced by Shanghainese cooking because the maternal side of my family, though Cantonese, grew up in Beijing & Shanghai, before moving to Hong Kong, hence our eating habits.

Located in an older Taipei neigborhood near Chung Hwa Lu, Taipei's answer to Nathan Road back in the 50s-60s, Lung Kee occupies a most unassuming two-story house in a back alley of Yen Ping Nan Lu, a stone throw from Sun Yat San Hall. The exact address is #1 Alley 101 Yen Ping Nan Lu, Taipei.

As for what to order, what can I say, eveything! Rule (1) be greedy, very greedy, starting with the 'appetizer cabinet' at the entrance. You will find an ample display of mouth-watering classics, notably the heavily roed 'yellow fish' beautifully braised in caramalized spring onions, served cold. Rule (2) be traditional ie order dishes that make Shanghainese food famous. They are not banquet fare like abalone and sharks fin, but dishes everyone makes and eats at home, without ceremony. They are the best!

Our generous hosts, indigenous Taiwanese and bona fide Taipei belongers now, showered us with more than a dozen classics. I will let you find out, in vitro, what we had ... all you have to do is to comb the 4-page menu, and follow your greed. Do not let Lung Kee slip away on your next visit. This old lady has been around, since 1952 ie 58 years ago, almost as old as I am. She survived for very good reasons, and she is an absolute must. One last thing, do expect 'grouchy matrons' but that said, no one seems to mind, smiles are all around still as the spread on the table more than makes up for bad service. Bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment