Wednesday, March 03, 2010

EATING IN TAIPEI

This is the bar of a trendy restaurant across the street from the Far East Shangri-la in Taipei. The best description is probably 'a creative way to give Taipei (not necessarily Taiwanese per se) fare its modern interpretation'. What amazes me is how ambience, setting and style have won places in Taipei dining which, for years, has been dominated by 'Small Eats' and traditional presentations of provincial Chinese cooking, at their best, I should add. I am still a genuine fan, and an avid explorer of the 'Small Eats' universe whenever I get to visit this city, which I happen to love. To me they are quintessential Taipei, something my staunch KMT uncles, aunties and cousins taught me back in the late '50s to early '60s when Hong Kong residents did not get visas easily, for fear of espionage. I will never forget those large red banners that spanned across the entire width of Chung Shan Bei Lu ..... 'spies who turn themselves in will not be prosecuted ....' How times have changed!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment