Sunday, January 23, 2011

HADLEYS HOTEL

We stayed at the Hadleys Hotel right in the middle of town on our first night in Hobart. Built by convict labor, a huge resource by the way that built most of the infrastructure on this huge island, the hotel was opened in 1834. At that time Hobart was a launch pad for everything that had anything to do with exploring the Antarctic since it was 'the closest point'. Here is a fun story. One prominent explorer, whose name escaped me, actually beat the famous Captain Scott to the South Pole. Returning to Hobart in triumph, he stayed at the Hadleys but was 'poorly treated because he was given a room that he could hardly move around'. The hero of his times was so pissed off (pardon the language I am sure that was precisely how he must felt) 'he shaved, put on a change of clothes, and walked across the street to the post office to send his legendary telegram to announce to the world his conquest of the South Pole'. I bet you did not know this piece of Tassie history.

I was so impressed I could almost feel his presence that night. I believe we were sleeping on that same bed he slept in, albeit a larger room. Heritage, memories, history ... yes ... but modern day hospitality comforts ... well, what can I say?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment