Tuesday, December 11, 2012

ENGLISH LANGUAGE

"I did not say that I do not have illegal structures ...."

This has to be the most talked about phrase today (Dec 11th 2012) in both Cantonese & English, across the soil of the HKSAR.  I am truly amazed!  Mind you, not by the author of the statement who obviously lost even more grounds and respect from his subjects, but by the depth of the English language.

Double Negative, as I was taught by the late Mr Kwong Sum Wood aka "Kwong Lo" who was feared but revered by all when we were at St Paul's Co-Educational College.  A Cambridge graduate, I believe with 1st Class Honors, he taught us the rudimentary of the language.  Notably ... in English there are Rules & Exceptions, but always be mindful that there are more exceptions than rules.  Then there is the Double Negatives, and his stern command still rings, after almost 50 years.  "Do not even bother to try unless you are absolutely sure how to use it!"  

I wonder where our Fearless Leader went to secondary school?   

No comments:

Post a Comment