Sunday, November 29, 2009

70!

Once you passed the magic 60 mark I guess the next big one is not 65, but 70. While it is a fact of life I was shocked by how quickly it came, even before my 61st birthday.

Dora and I are due to renew our driving licenses before year end, and being the 'Family Messenger' I was tasked to the Transport Department. Hers was straight forward, renewed for 10 years until 2019 at a nominal fee of HK$900 .... one of the few remaining benefits from our low tax base in Hong Kong.

Then it was my turn .... HK$873 please! Why am I privileged, could it be my looks? "Sir, your new license is only good until March 16th 2019, before you turn 70 on the 17th, hence pro-rated. BTW we only give 3-year licenses when you turn 70. Is there anything else?"

Anything else? Yes, wait till you are 60, young lady, what else can I say? I guess this is one of those circumstances around which the expression 'rude shock' was coined. 70? Me? Give me a break, not so soon please!

No comments:

Post a Comment