Sunday, August 16, 2009

1959 ARMAGNAC

I am no connoisseur in post prandial libation. I also do not claim to have the noses and taste buds of our eldest daughter and son-in-law, honor graduates of 'wine school' ... all I know is 'what a fantastic experience'. We were offered a vintage Armagnac a couple of weeks ago, bottled when I was 10 years old, in 1959. If you go on the web you will read emotive arguments on the comparative virtues between Cognac & Armagnac, ad nauseum. In my humble view, aside from knowing the two key differentials (1) Cognac from the Cognac Region and ... bingo ... Armagnac from the Armagnac Region of France (2) Cognac is distilled twice and Armagnac only once, the rest is really a matter of personal preferences, as in whiskey. Some describe one as elegant, the other as harsh, but the interesting point is such comments are sometimes interchangeable. We sampled from this beautifully kept bottle and I can assure you, it is unique. I count my blessing for being able to sip a 50 year old Armagnac, after a fine meal, at age 60!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment